Olivine Rus offers to purchase olivine sand of different fractions for all industry areas.
All products are certified and comply with the specifications 08.12.11-001-03270585-2017. We offer to learn more about the advantages of Yovskoye field olivine sand in "Products”
Available fractional composition: -40+10; -20+5; -6+3; -6+1; -3+0,9; -0,9+0,2; -0,5+0,1; -0,3+0,05; -0,1+0.
Areas of application
- Refractories for blast furnaces, steelmaking furnaces.
High quality, low cost of production.
- Blast furnace slag modifier.
Cast iron quality improvement, coke consumption reduction up to 10%.
- Sawn stone.
The unique properties of heat energy accumulation. Dark greenish beautiful color is suitable for the manufacture of fireplaces, floors, etc.
- Molding sand for casting molds.
Clean surface castings, metal saving of up to 5%, silicosis safe for humans.
- Energy-saving refractory concrete.
Low thermal conductivity, high heat capacity of dunite reinforced concrete structures provide building heat saving and ensures their refractory properties.
- Mineral wool.
The thermal conductivity of the mineral wool is 1,5 times lower and its fire resistance is 1,8 times higher.
- Nuclear industry.
Radiation proofness allows to produce waste containers.
- Night heat accumulators.
Reduction of energy consumption for space heating.
- Ceramic filler.
Quality at the level of or exceeds the level of domestic and foreign analogues.
- Material for sandblasting.
Solidity, grain density, safety for humans.
- The extraction of platinum.
Associated extraction of platinum during production.
Environmental effect of the products
- Olivine, in contrast to quartz, doesn’t have any silicon oxide therefore, dunite, 95% consisting of olivine, is an ecologically clean, silicosis safe material for the body. Replacement of quartz sand with dunites (olivines) in metallurgy and mechanical engineering areas allows to reduce coming down with silicosis by at least 75%.
- Dunite (olivine), having low thermal conductivity, but high heat capacity when used in residential and industrial construction in the form of concrete filler for building structures and interior decoration materials, performs an important function, it reduces up to 50% of energy resources for heating, and consequently, emissions of harmful substances of their production.
Quality certificate for olivine sand from the Yovskoye field
- Physical characteristic
- The melting temperature is 1760 ° C
- Solidity on the Mohs scale - 6 - 7,2
- The true density 3200 kg. cube
- Loose density-2100 kg. m. cube.
- pH – 8.9
- Color - grey-green
- Grain shape - angular
- Chemical composition
- MgO – 47-51%
- SiO2 – 38-42%
- FeO + Fe2O3 – 7-9.3%
- CaO – 0.1-0.9%
- Free quartz - <0,1%
- n.n. – 1-2%
Comparison of different molding sands
|Parameter||Olivine sand||Quartz||Chromite sand||Zircon|
|Specific gravity (g / cm3)||3.3||2.7||4.4||4.7|
|Bulk density (g / cm3)||1.7-1.9||1.5-1.9||2.6-2.9||2.7|
|Melting point (°C)||1760||1720||1880||2300|
|High temperature reaction||Basic||Acidic||Basic||Slightly acidic|
|Specific heat (cal / g °C)
|The shape of the grain||Angular||Spherical and angular||Angular||Angular|
|Loss on ignition (%)||0.3-0.7||0.1-0.4||0.1||0.1-0.2|
|Solidity according to Mohs scale||7.0||7.0||5.5||7.5|
The information about the Technical specifications (08.12.11-001-03270585-2017) of olivine sand from the Yovskoye field is available on request.
Advantages of using olivine sand for foundry
When using olivine sand absolutely eliminates the risk of professional disease of molders, the so-called silicosis!
The use of olivine sand will improve the metallurgical properties of pellets of your production:
- Olivine sand increases the resistance of magnesium lining of industrial furnaces due to the high content of MgO
- Olivine sand minimizes the introduction of additional raw fluxes into the converter charge in iron-ore magnesia pellets, and it reduces heat losses.
- Olivine sand reduces the yield of converter slag by 2-3 times compared with conventional acid iron-ore pellets.
- Olivine sand makes the slag more liquid and active; it helps to remove alkali and improves the desulphurization process.
- Olivine sand increases the solidity of iron-ore pellets.
- Olivine sand is not subjected to decomposition reaction on which a sufficient amount of energy is spent in contrast to the raw metallurgical dolomite
- Olivine sand reduces the negative impact of bentonite clays in iron-ore magnesia pellets, so as the bentonite clays significantly increase the acidic environment and additionally add SiO2 and Na2O to pellets
- Olivine has a low and uniform thermal expansion compared to quartz sands. This allows for more stable and controlled dimensional accuracy.
Olivine sands are widely used in the world practice in the manufacture of cast iron (gray, high solidity and malleable) and steels of all types, especially manganese.Due to its basic chemical nature, olivine does not interact with manganese unlike quartz sand.The main characteristics make olivine sand ideal for the production of austenitic manganese steels.Olivine sand is also used for facing molding mixtures in the manufacture of large steel and iron castings, which allows them to be obtained with a cleaner surface than using quartz sand.The special advantage of olivine sand is manifested in the production of heavy castings, when resistance to high ferrostatic pressure is required, due to the slow and linear nature of volumetric changes (in contrast to quartz sand, which has a structural transformation at 575 °C).Olivine has no allotropic transformations, resistant to slagging with iron oxides. The sintering temperature of 1450 °C, begins to fuse at temperatures above 1760 °C and the melting point between 1800 and 1850 °C.
Fine-grained olivine sand is not wetted with liquid metal and has angular grains that provide a dense surface with low permeability.This makes it possible to use olivine sand in the manufacture of molds, rods and castings of non-ferrous alloys.
Olivine sand, as well as zirconium and chromite sand is used as a coating mixture. Due to the higher heat storage capacity, it has a higher heat removal rate, providing a local increase in the solidification rate.This is important to consider when there are thermal nodes in the casting and the temperature gradient reaches an undesirable peak.Olivine sand can be used in a mixture with chromite (approximately 50/50). The mixture can also be used to increase the rate of solidification in thermal units.Fine-grained olivine sand has the characteristics of non-wetting and angular shape of the grain, which provides a dense surface with low permeability of the metal.For this reason, olivine sand is also used in the manufacture of molds and rods and for castings of non-ferrous alloys (brass, bronze and aluminum), in cases where it is necessary to obtain a quality surface with minimal cleaning.
The angular form of the grains of olivine sand even allows for fine-grained sand in the intensification of the gasket to retain the gas-tightness, which is most important for elimination of gas defects in the casting.Low and constant thermal expansion allows to avoid linear defects in castings, as well as blockages caused by the destruction of the mold during pouring due to uneven heating (unlike forms of quartz sand), it reduces the amount of additives of compensating materials designed to reduce the effect of thermal expansion (organic additives), and as a consequence, the reduction of dimensional defects.